Kristina started karate lessons 1 1/2 months ago. Teacher said she is doing great but it doesn't surprise us, physical activities is her forte. She is a quick learner, she gives all she can, she is tough, she finds thrill in sports.
On our way to class...yes that is a Popsicle. She is my Popsicle girl. Not much posing can be done with a Popsicle in her mouth. :-)

Look at that smile!
Look at that smile!
Teacher's son helps with the class and since there are only two students, teacher spends time with the slow learner and lets her son teach Kristina more advanced moves.


I think Karate has been great for her. They learn to listen, meditate, respect for all, understand ranking, and of course indirectly they are learning self-defense. Kristina can now upper block, down block and knife block a punch. They are working on the kicks and a karate "dance".
OK so here are the description of the blocks for the inquiring minds:
Upper block - protect yourself from a punch in the face
Down block - if someone grabs your arm, before the opponent pulls you towards them, the defendant is able to release themselves
Knife block - it sounds terrible but it is very pretty move, one hand swipes across the chest to move anything coming that way, like a windshield wiper, and the other hand ends resting on the front, open in case in needs to swipe the other way.
Gees, I hope my daughter never has to use these moves. But she wanted Karate and she is loving it.
3 comments:
Looks like fun! Yay, Kristina!
Cool! I think a few of my kids would love karate. Once I took a Tae Kwon Doe intro class with three of my boys. It wasn't easy.
She gets more beautiful each time I see a photo of her. WE are thinking of trying karate for Matthew too.
Post a Comment