Typical question/comments I get and my answers.
Q: Why Russia and not USA?
A: Because that is where our daughter was
Q: You picked well (referring to the beauty of out daughter)
A: This one to be honest left me speechless I was so mad inside but after a deep breath I said “Kristina was a blind referral, meaning we left it all in God’s hands but even if you go through an agency and you receive pictures of the child matched to you it is not like selecting from a catalog. They steal your heart at first sight.”
Q: She is so lucky to have you (referring to our daughter living with us)
A: We are the lucky ones. She is a wonderful child and we cannot imagine not having her with us. She brings so much joy and love to our house.
Q: Do you think you want another one
A: Ask God for me but I think K was meant to be an only child.
And just recently from a 6 year old, which caught me by surprise but I was able to quickly realize that it was not her fault; that some adult had made the point of telling her, I do not know why it matter. If I ignored her she would continue to ask and wonder about it. Here is how I handled it. Here is the dialog between the child and me.
C: K was adopted! (in a loud voice said as a fact but with question marks in her look)
M: Yes she was.
C: Why did you adopt her?
M: Because she is my daughter
C: Ahhh!
Subject was dropped for about 30 minutes while we got our stuff and went to the park but once it was quiet again and we sat down to eat our lunch she started again.
C: K was adopted! (That is when I got annoyed but realized she wanted to know and just telling her to drop it was not going to take care of it, if anything it would do more damage because to Kristina it is not an issue).
M: Yes A. but that should not be of concern to you. You want to be friends with K, right? (she nodded) then the fact that she was adopted should not worry you but if you have questions I will answer them for you
C: Where did she come from? Does she speak Russian?
M: She was born in Russia like your mom and dad but I think she has forgotten it.
C: I think she understands Russian because when I sometimes talk to her she looks like she understands.
M: That is great (thinking this is it, and then the next question came)
C: She was not born in your tummy.
M: You are right A, she was not born in my tummy she was born in my heart (pointing at my heart and said with big passion). People are born into families in different ways.
C: Oh! (with a big smile and look of satisfaction.
She got up and went to play. Bingo we got to the question she was concerned about it and the answer was enough to quench her curiosity. Next week we saw each other and not a word was mentioned. Gracias a Dios!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
When you answered "She was born in my heart" that made me cry. You are right, the logistics are inconsequential....Kristine is your baby and you are her mom. You are both so blessed and I am thrilled for you both.
XOXOXOX
Post a Comment